Free Training Available for First Nation School Teachers and Support Staff
September 4, 2020
Treaty One Territory, Manitoba
The Canadian Red Cross is making its Preventing Disease Transmission training available to help schools meet public health guidelines. This training provides schools with education on the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment and on ways to reduce disease transmission.
With the financial support of the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB), the Canadian Red Cross is working closely with the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs and the Manitoba First Nations Pandemic Response Coordination Team to make this education available to First Nations schools in the province, free of charge.
Please see the information outlined below, which details the Preventing Disease Transmission training course and includes details on how First Nation schools can access this programming.
Details on Preventing Disease Transmission course for First Nation Schools and how to register
The Red Cross Preventing Disease Transmission (PDT) online course is designed to help schools and school divisions meet public health guidelines, and is suitable for all audiences, including those who work in the classroom and support services that assist schools in meeting their mandates. Our online course has been developed with the latest in evidence-based science from the World Health Organization, Public Health Authority of Canada, and the Centre for Evidence-Based Practice with whom the International Red Cross / Red Crescent works closely.
About our Preventing Disease Transmission training
Learning the proper use, removal, and disposal of personal protective equipment (PPE) minimizes the risk of infection to oneself and others and helps to control the spread of transmission. Red Cross offers a self-directed, online training option which makes it easy to ensure consistent, flexible, cost-effective training for all your employees. This online course assists learners in developing skills to reduce their risk of disease transmission through awareness skills and proper use of protective equipment.
- How to prevent infection and prevent pathogens from entering the body.
- The different ways diseases are transmitted and the role of immunization.
- Proper handwashing techniques.
- How to use personal protective equipment (PPE) correctly, including donning and doffing a medical gown, a mask, protective eyewear, and gloves.
- How to safely dispose of PPE.
Duration: 40 minutes
Certification: Three-year certification provided to successful participants
How to access the course:
To access the Preventing Disease Transmission Course:
- For those interested in registering, they need to go to learn.redcross.ca.
- Under Preventing Disease Transmission, click Learn More >
- Choose Preventing Disease Transmission: Self-Directed
- Click Enrol In This Course
- On the order summary page click Add Coupon Code
- Enter coupon code CRCS-MANITOBA-SE-500E and click Apply
- Enter your information and complete the registration form
Who to contact for assistance:
If anyone is having difficulties registering for this course, please contact Michelle Dandenault for assistance, either by phone at 204-982-7345 or email at email@example.com.