The mandate of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, is through the Chiefs-in-Assembly, to devise collective and common political strategies and mechanisms for coordinated action by First Nations and their organizations to:
- Promote, preserve, and protect Aboriginal and Treaty rights for First Nation people in Manitoba;
- Preserve and enhance the rights and freedoms of First Nations in Manitoba as distinct peoples;
- Strengthen and restore the foundations of First Nation cultures, traditions, languages, economies, and societies;
- Affirm First Nation rights as peoples to exercise and practice self-determination and self-government;
- Protect the integrity and authority of each First Nation’s customs, laws, and practices; and
- Preserve and enhance the role of equal participation of First Nation women within political, economic, and social spheres of First Nation governments and organizations.